November 28, 2011

Rep. Jennifer Mann Will Not Seek Reelection In 2012

Rep. Jennifer L. Mann (D-Lehigh) announced Monday she will not seek reelection in 2012 for an eighth term in the House.
           “Serving the people of my home town in the General Assembly has been an honor and privilege. However, the time has come for me to move on to new challenges and a new path,” Rep. Mann said. “I never intended the House of Representatives to be my career, but I am eternally grateful to the people of Allentown for putting their faith and confidence in me throughout my tenure.
           “I am proud of my record and accomplishments over the last 13 years. Building Coca-Cola Park and watching the most successful AAA franchise play their games in Allentown has been tremendous for our region. Our downtown has made great strides including the expansion of PPL and the Allentown Art Museum, as well as the relocation of the Butz Corporation. We have increased state support for the Allentown School District by nearly 300 percent while passing new laws that have dramatically increased protection for our children. 
           “There’s still much work to be done, and I will continue to be a strong advocate for the city of Allentown and the Allentown School District. I’m looking forward to helping the city make the downtown arena project a success and working to improve our school system in any way we can.
           “I want to thank those who’ve supported me over the years for their trust and even thank those who opposed me for helping me to keep working as hard as I could. I look forward to working with you all to continue to make Allentown a better place for all of us.”
           Rep. Mann was first elected to the House in 1998 and currently serves as the House Democratic Caucus secretary. She is one of 133 women to serve as a state representative and only the third woman to serve in Democratic leadership in the 329-year history of the General Assembly.