August 6, 2015

Montgomery County DA Files Criminal Charges Against Attorney General Kane

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported late this morning Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane was criminally charged Thursday in a scheme to leak grand jury material and later cover it up - a stunning blow to a political career that was once on a steep ascent.
At a news conference in Norristown, Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman unveiled an indictment including charges of perjury, official oppression, and obstruction of justice.
Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane released the following statement in response to charges filed against her— 
          "I am very disappointed the district attorney has made the decision to pursue this case. I have maintained my innocence from the day these allegations surfaced and I continue to do so today.
          "I intend to defend myself vigorously against these charges. I look forward to the opportunity to present my case in a public courtroom and move beyond the behind-the-scenes maneuvering that has defined the process to this point.
          "Meanwhile, I remain committed to leading the Office of Attorney General and doing the job the citizens of this Commonwealth elected me to do. A resignation would be an admission of guilt and I'm not guilty.
          "I assure everyone the Office of Attorney General will continue to fulfill its mission to protect and serve the citizens of Pennsylvania." 
Kane, 49, a Democrat, is the first attorney general in Pennsylvania to face criminal charges since Ernie Preate Jr., a Republican who pleaded guilty in a federal corruption case two decades ago.
Her indictment comes nearly nine months after a statewide grand jury recommended charges against her.
The panel concluded late last year that Kane released confidential grand jury materials in an act of revenge against a former prosecutor in her office whom she blamed for her political troubles.
The grand jury referred the case to Ferman, who has spent months reviewing the evidence the panel uncovered and unearthing new information.
Click Here to read full criminal charges against Attorney General Kane.
NewsClips: